Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad - North Shore Line - License Plate
• 6" x 12" .030 Gauge Aluminum
• Includes 4 Mounting Slots & 1/2" Radius Rounded Corners
• UV Protective coating to Prevent Fading
• Image is reproduction - final product might differ slightly
• Made in America
The Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad, also known as the North Shore Line, was an interurban railway that served the North Shore region of Chicagoland and Southeastern Wisconsin. The North Shore Line was formed in 1916, when industrialist Samuel Insull acquired the Chicago and Milwaukee Electric Railway Company. Beginning in 1919, the railroad provided electric freight and passenger service between the Chicago Loop and downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The high standard to which the railroad was built, in conjunction with its fast operating speeds and streamlined Electroliner service led author and rail historian William D. Middleton to deem the North Shore Line a "super interurban".
After World War II, the North Shore Line began to face an irreversible decline in passenger ridership. The company petitioned to end rail service in 1958, and despite several years of legal opposition from an organization of regular commuters, the North Shore Line became the final interurban system to undergo complete abandonment with the end of all rail service in January 1963.
The Chicago Transit Authority Yellow Line currently operates over a portion of the former right-of-way, and several pieces of the railway's rolling stock have been preserved. Amtrak's Hiawatha Service currently serves the rail market between Milwaukee and Chicago.